Monday, November 7, 2011

Chap. II. The Prevailing Opinion of a Sexual Character is Discussed

I've always thought it was odd that genders are brought up to believe that they are complete oposites. Children are immediately categorized into different categories when they are born. If you see a baby wearing pink, it is a girl. If you see a baby wearing blue it is a boy. Yes? Yes.

Why do we gender stereotype so much? Yes I am a very, VERY "girly-girl," but that's not because I have been told to; it's because I just am. I've always liked glitter and dresses. That's just me. But do I think of myself as lesser to a man? Absolutely not. I am feminine, but I am NOT the "weaker sex."

I am not frail. Nor do I think women should be raised thinking that they need a man to protect them in a dangerous world. I love Disney movies, everyone knows I do, but I have some serious issues with the fact that all of the princesses need princes to save them. I commend Disney for incorporating some female heroines in the recent years, but it just shows how our society teaches men to grow up being strong and women to grow up to be men's "play things."

Having just finished a Shakespeare class last quarter, I find it fascinating that these ordeals were even worse years ago. Women used to be viewed as contracts and property, not as humans with actual feelings, or so it seemed. It is interesting how fathers and brothers care greatly for their daughters or sisters and recognize their emotional and cognitive abilities, yet still marry knowing that whichever woman they marry is their PROPERTY.

Yes, we've come a long way, but women are still often not viewed as equals. Often women are taught growing up to be very modest and to please others, so they don't show how absolutely capable they are as functioning human beings. Men are taught to hide all "feminine emotion" but to boast of their self-worth and strength. This sounds barbaric to an extent; nevertheless, it occurs.

I thought this essay was well written, but a bit long. Maybe it's because "Google Is Making Us Stupid," or maybe it's because it was a little too long and some points were mentioned more than once making it seem like it dragged on. I'm going with the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment