Monday, December 5, 2011

Alligators/Crocodiles

I love Disney World, don't get me wrong, but why does every single ride have to have a fake alligator in it? WHY? When I go to Disney World I have to close my eyes during parts of the rides because I honestly FREAK OUT when I see alligators/crocodiles. Throughout this post I will use the words "alligator" and "crocodile" interchangeably, because to me, they are the same, TERRIFYING. I will also use "Caps Lock" frequently to display the amount of fear each of their beady eyes sends through my body. 

I don't know where this irrational fear of "alligodiles" came from. I've always thought they were extremely scary. Now that I think about it. It probably came from watching "Peter Pan" once or twice too often as a little girl. Captain Hook got eaten by that weird crocodile that ticked like a clock EVERY time. I guess I just assumed, though my morality is better than that of the villainous Hook, that when an alligator saw me it would instinctively eat me. I have never seen an alligodile who has looked as if he/she could disprove this theory. They all look immensely intimidating. 

Someday, perhaps, I'll get over this fear, but it really doesn't affect my life and daily habits very much, so I'll probably go on living with my hatred of the alligodile. It would probably be beneficial to be able to go on rides at Disney World and not get scared when I see an OBVIOUSLY fake alligodile swimming along side my boat in "It's a Small World." 

2 comments:

  1. I have been down to Disney World seven times in my relatively short life, and I have never noticed that most rides have the dreaded "alligodile" until you mentioned it, but it is so true! Personally Peter Pan is one of my favorites, but I can see how the fate of Captain Hook could scar a little girl from every liking alligators.

    I thought this was a really good post Heather; I could totally hear your voice in it! But it's probably good that you live in Wisconsin and not down south in the bayous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your use of the "alligodile", it was very creative. I can see where your coming from though as it would be very scary to try and go one on one with an alligodile. I always found that the crocodile of Peter Pan was rather funny, but I can see that Hook's fate was a bit morbid in some ways for a children's movie.

    ReplyDelete